Broccoli & Berry Porridge
Okay, maybe I've taken things a little too far, or maybe I'm just onto a fabulously genius way of getting more of your five-a-day and saving food waste... hear me out.
So the other day I made a broccoli and red pepper dhal (which was bloody delicious, recipe here) and instead of just throwing the broccoli stalk away as usual, I grated it and put it in the fridge with this crazy idea that I might just incorporate it into my breakfast bowl.
And that I did. Since then I've got pretty inventive with broccoli: I tried chocolate broccoli oats (which masks the broccoli taste the best) and even used the stalk in my go-to green smoothie recipe. Which (not gonna lie) didn't taste amazing, until I added some cinnamon and peanut butter. Because peanut butter fixes everything!
Anyway, this recipe is really good. You can taste the broccoli a little, but it doesn't detract from the porridge's deliciousness. The cinnamon and berries keep it from being too overpowering. Let me know if you give this a try - would love to know what you think.
Top tip: Just make sure you don't get a long stringy bit of broccoli in your oats. That's not much fun to chew!
Half a broccoli stalk, grated
1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1) Melt the coconut oil over a medium heat in a pan
2) Add the grated broccoli and frozen berries
3) Mix for 30 seconds to a minute, then add all other ingredients
4) Stir for a further 3-5 minutes. You may need to add more liquid depending on how thick you like your porridge
5) Top with all your favourite toppings. On this one I added vanilla chia seed pudding, peanut butter, more berries and pumpkin seeds