Raspberry Quinoa Porridge with Caramelised Banana
|Raspberry quinoa porridge with caramelised banana|
Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love a warming bowl of oaty porridge on a morning - there's nothing better than gooey banana melted into oats and topped with peanut butter... Yum!
However sometimes you just need a bit of variety to spice things up. The caramelised banana just tops this breakfast off - a little indulgent but made from completely healthy, natural and whole ingredients - it's absolutely delicious. Totally worth the extra effort in the morning in my opinion!
As quinoa is seed, I would recommend making sure you cook it for the full 15 minutes in enough liquid, otherwise it can have quite a grainy texture.
High in dietary fibre, quinoa releases energy slowly through the day, making it the perfect choice for breakfast! On top of this, quinoa is one of the few plant sources of complete protein. A breakfast filled with protein will really set you up for the day as it keeps you satiated and full for a long time. It's also naturally gluten free, so it's a great alternative to oats if you are gluten intolerant.
250ml almond milk
Drop vanilla essence
2 tspn cinnamon
2 tspn coconut oil
1 tspn maple syrup
1) Rinse the quinoa thoroughly before using so as to remove the bitter saponins that coat the seed.
2) Add the quinoa, almond milk, 1 tspn of cinnamon and vanilla essence to a pan and gently bring to the boil.
3) Add approx. 5 raspberries to the mix, and slice half the banana. Simmer for 15 mins.
3)When the quinoa is about 5 minutes from cooked, in a separate pan combine the coconut oil, 1 tspn cinnamon and maple syrup and heat gently until melted and mixed together.
4) Slice the remainder of the banana in half, so you have two long strips, then add to the pan of coconut milk. Heat each side for approximately 2 mins, or until it has a caramel glaze.
5) Add the quinoa to a bowl and top with caramelised banana, chopped almonds and more raspberries.
TIP: You can add as much of a variety of toppings as you desire; almond butter goes great and adding pumpkin, sunflower and chia seeds will give you an added boost of omega 3 and protein.