Vegan Chilli sin Carne
|Vegan bean chilli with wild rice and guacamole|
This is the ultimate comfort food. So hearty and delicious, this dish always warms me from the inside out. It's super nutritious and protein filled, and completely free of dairy, meat, refined-sugar, and gluten. I've also included the recipe for my homemade guacamole which is a great accompaniment to this meal.
Make sure that if you're using dry kidney or black beans, you have soaked and boiled them for the correct amount of time before making this recipe... The last thing you want to do is come to make your delicious chilli and realise that your black beans need boiling for 70 minutes first (yes, I am speaking from experience!).
Vegan Chilli sin Carne Recipe
1x 400g tin kidney beans (or equivalent dried and soaked)
1x 400g tin black beans (or equivalent dried and pre-boiled)
2 large carrots, grated
1 large stick of celery, chopped
1 red onion, diced
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
half a red chilli, chopped (add more or less depending on how spicy you like it!)
half a jalapeño pepper, chopped (again, this depends on personal preference)
3 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 bay leaf
2x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
2tsp smoked paprika
1tsp ground coriander
salt and pepper
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
1. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and gently fry your onions, garlic and celery in a frying pan for 8-10 minutes or until soft
2. Add the grated carrot, pepper, tomato puree, paprika, cumin, ground coriander, chilli and jalapeño to the pan
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, soy sauce, bay leaf and cinnamon, and simmer for 20 mins
4. Add the kidney beans, black beans and chopped coriander; season with salt and pepper and simmer for a further 10 mins.
5. Serve with brown rice.
|Creamy homemade guacamole|
1 ripe avocado
juice of half a lemon
6 cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
2 slices of jarred jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
1 crushed garlic clove
Salt and pepper
1) Mash the avocado in a bowl, then add all other ingredients.
2) Mix well and voilà!