Healthy Italian chicken bake
I'm not ready to give up sunny evenings enjoying BBQ dinners in the garden! However, the nights seem to be drawing in and the temperature has definitely dropped, which can only mean one thing: Autumn is here.
This Italian-inspired baked chicken dish is the perfect transition meal from the fresh dinners of light summer evenings, to the warming casseroles and stews of winter... Easing us in to the cold weather to come.
I found a basic recipe for this dish on one of my favourite recipe sites, bbc good food, and just had to try it out. I've jazzed it up a bit by adding some green vegetables to give it more texture and an even greater flavour. I served it with broccoli and Cajun spiced sweet potato wedges, but it would also go great with rice or new potatoes.
It's flavoursome and super healthy; a great family-friendly meal, packing 3 of your five-a-day.
What's more, it's ready in 35 mins from start to finish. This recipe serves 2, but you can easily adjust the quantities accordingly if you're feeding more!
1 red onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 green pepper
1/2 a courgette
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 chicken breasts
1 tbsp rosemary leaves (dried is fine)
1 tbsp basil leaves (dried is fine)
Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
1. Gently fry the garlic and onions over a medium heat until lightly brown, taking care that the garlic doesn't burn.
2. Add the chopped pepper and courgette; fry for another 5 mins until soft.
3. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper. Heat through.
4. Meanwhile, transfer the chicken breasts to an oven proof dish.
5. Pour the tomato sauce over the chicken, ensuring all chicken breast is covered.
6. Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins.